Wednesday 28 May 2014

Xiu Xiu - Women as Lovers (2008)


At the risk of oversimplifying a complex and experimental band, I like to think that there are two sides to avant-garde artists Xiu Xiu. The incredibly harsh, noisy and dark side of Xiu Xiu that takes the lead on albums like the recent Angel Guts: Red Classroom, and the more accessible side that consists of weird songs so catchy that they're almost pop. Almost. I've always leaned more towards the more accessible Xiu Xiu myself, as I love their ability to seamlessly incorporate strange, noisy samples, jazzy time signatures and oddly haunting melodies into songs that sound like they could get radio play if it weren't for Jamie Stewart's lyrics and his bizarre/creepy (yet often mesmerizing) voice. Women as Lovers is one of those Xiu Xiu albums that falls into this more approachable camp.

Women has a lot going for it. Songs that cover a wide range of emotions, diverse instrumentation and a very lush sound overall, with crisp and clear production that emphasizes just how layered all the sounds are on this album. There are pianos over a variety of acoustic strings, brass instruments, an array of wacky percussion, electronic bleeps, chimes, and more that I am still discovering with every listen. The amazingly unique rendition of Queen & David Bowie's hit Under Pressure featuring Michael Gira, of Swans and Angels of Light fame, is probably the best example of the kinds of instrumentation that are present, as the cover seems to make use of nearly everything that Xiu Xiu play on the album.

Typically, when I put on a Xiu Xiu record there are always songs that I love, and those that I find nearly unlistenable. But Women as Lovers is different. It's probably their most easily accessible album (more so than Fabulous Muscles and Dear God, I Hate Myself) and I can listen to it from front to back effortlessly. The song No Friend Oh! is a good example of what to expect from this album, it's poppy, melodic, weirdly catchy and instantly gratifying; all aspects that stand in stark contrast to much of Xiu Xiu's work. I think Women as Lovers can serve as a good introduction to those who are new to the world of Xiu Xiu, simply because it is approachable. I was introduced the other way around, and found myself surprised that Xiu Xiu wrote songs like the ones featured on Women, giving me a renewed interest in the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment