Wednesday 21 May 2014

Balance And Composure - Only Boundaries EP (2009)



This is going to be a short review because this is a short EP, only four songs. But that's exactly how I like my EPs. Short and sweet. This is a good example of how the format can be used as an excellent  way to show people what your band is all about. These four songs range from good to great, and included are two of my favourite Balance and Composure songs (Show Your Face and What's Wrong With Everything). I first heard Balance and Composure when I caught them at a pretty random show in San Francisco, they happened to be playing a block from my hotel and I was with a few friends who were in the mood for some live music. Their live show was amazing and I was instantly hooked on their unique form of post-hardcore and alternative style of rock music. It's emo. It's angsty. It's grungy. And the music is also very beautifully arranged, complex and so, so melodic. Songs get stuck in my head easily, and I find myself singing along with Jon Simmons emotive and personal lyrics. His voice also really sets the band apart in the genre. I find that Balance and Composure's songs are instantly recognizable simply because of Jon's damn near perfect voice and how well it suits the bands style.

There is nothing quite like listening to Balance on a rainy day to get me in a very introspective kind of mood. If you enjoy this EP, (and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet) I can say with confidence that you will dig the bands first full length Separations, which sounds like a logical continuation of this very solid EP. Only Boundaries will always remind me of that San Fran road trip as after seeing Balance play live, they pretty much dominated our car stereo on the long journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment