Sunday 17 August 2014

Mind of Asian - Chinmoku No Kiri No Naka (2006)


I totally forgot about this record until now when it came up on the old music library. Let me start by saying that this album is an absolute blast to listen to. It's a lot of fun, and it never fails to put me in a good mood. The only problem is that I had to play it at least three times just now because the thing is only 11 minutes long.

Chinmoku No Kiri No Naka is one of those interesting cases in which you can't judge an album by its cover art. Mind of Asian are an all female crossover thrash band from Tokyo, Japan. Not something that really screams "pink watercolour art" to me, but to each their own. From its punch-in-the-face introduction to the final hardcore-punk steeped guitar riff, this album absolutely rages. But for all its short and fast intensity there's still quite a bit of variety on this thing as well. Songs switch from being upbeat and punk-ish (like No Rain, No Rainbow) to incredibly pissed-off fastcore (Nights Without A Noise). The latter of these two tracks has this awesome galloping bass lead that makes me want to play the song over and over. This brings me to my next point... all of these songs are memorable despite being an average of one minute in length. That's quite a feat for any band within this scope of music genres.

Unfortunately, as far as lyrics go I am at a total loss. All I know is that Japanese, being a super fast-paced language (especially to someone who doesn't understand it) seems to lend itself to the speed-oriented genres of thrash, fastcore, grind and power violence. M.O.A.'s vocals go hand in hand with their music in making Chinmoku No Kiri No Naka such a bloody fast album. I also love the gang vocals that permeate M.O.A.'s sound, making every track sound like it's being played in some packed and sweaty house show.

This is one of those records that got me interested in genres like fastcore and powerviolence in my post high-school years. Bang your head to Nights Without a Noise in the link above and start a circle pit even if you're alone, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment