Sunday 17 August 2014

A Word About Rap Music in 2014


As far as hip-hop goes, I was pretty bummed by a number of disappointments this year. Oxymoron was pretty dull, Ab-Soul's newest effort was just bad in my opinion, YG's My Krazy Life was a little bit too dumb, and Shabazz Palaces released an interesting psychedelic electro album, but still far from the hip-hop I was expecting. Even some hyped albums like Stepbrothers' Lord Steppington and Open Mike Eagle's Dark Comedy I couldn't really get into.

Then I recently got to thinking, despite the letdowns there's still been quite a good crop of hip-hop and rap this year that I've enjoyed. Many of these artists I've just discovered. Antwon, clipping. Michael Christmas and Mick Jenkins have had a steady rotation on my iPod this year. And there's still a lot to look forward to later in 2014 (Blanco's first full length, NehruvianDOOM, Jay Rock's debut??) So here's a playlist of some of my favourite hip-hop tracks this year. Just follow the links for the songs.

(Update: I forgot to mention rapper/producer Jonwayne is dropping a fresh new track every friggin' monday. Check 'em out on Soundcloud)

Jazz - Mick Jenkins, from The Water(s)

Y'all Trippin' - Michael Christmas, from Is This Art?

Attak - Danny Brown (produced by Rustie)

Cold Tears - Antwon, from Heavy Hearted in Doldrums

Story 4: Sleeplessly Embracing (Alt-J Remix) - clipping.

Old English - feat. Young Thug, Freddie Gibbs & A$AP Ferg

Shitsville - Freddie Gibbs, from PiƱata (produced by Madlib)

Dat Strong - Leather Corduroys

Bow Down (feat. Denzel Curry) - Deniro Farrar, from Rebirth EP

Six Degrees (feat. Danny Brown) - Ghostface Killah (produced by BADBADNOTGOOD)

Canal - Ratking

Wish You Would - Mykki Blanco, from Sprng/Summer 2014 EP

Just Desserts - Cakes Da Killa, from Hunger Pangs


No comments:

Post a Comment