Tuesday 24 June 2014

Hiatus // Best EPs of 2014 (So Far)

See ya, suckers. I'm heading on a month-long trip and most likely won't be touching this blog at all in July. So with that being the case, I thought I'd leave you with a couple of midyear lists (I told you I love lists) to mull over / argue over / agree with / not care about.

First up, here's a quick list of the top five EPs that I've been the most impressed with this year. I'm only one person, I can't listen to everything, so give me your favourites in the comments and let me know what I missed out on.

List of full lengths to come soon.

5.) Evian Christ - Waterfall
The electronic artist Evian Christ, first signed to Tri-Angle and now a G.O.O.D. Music producer, gives us his answer to TNGHT's 2012 self-titled EDM colossus. This short EP is full of massive beats, builds and drops that are overwhelming at full volume. Very different from his spacey debut EP Kings and Them




I'm not sure that Son Lux' 2014 EP got the recognition that I think it deserves. The four songs are remixes of tracks from his 2013 release Lanterns. What Alternate Worlds does with Lanterns is give these four tracks a lush electronic makeover, making the songs even more layered and orchestral, and adding an excellent collaboration with Lorde on the song Easy


I'll admit, when it comes to New Orleans sludge/doom titans Thou, I'm a much bigger fan of their EPs than their full length albums. Maybe it's just the sheer length of 2014's Heathen LP that turned me away from it, but I honestly think that Thou show more variety and creativity in their EPs than on their full lengths. I think this one is even better and heavier than 2011's The Archer & The Owle, and once again it contains a kick-ass, sludged-up cover of a Nirvana tune, I Hate Myself And I Want to Die. So much heavy


I really liked Cakes Da Killa's previous EP The Eulogy, when I heard that Hunger Pangs dropped I was hoping it would live up to its predecessor. It's even better. The beats are louder and a bit more accessible, rhymes are more complex, and Cakes' flow has only improved. This EP has more personality than most full length hip-hop albums I've heard in 2014


In my review of Blanco's Cosmic Angel mixtape, I said her full length was one of my most anticipated albums of 2014. And the three short songs on the aptly titled Spring/Summer 2014 are exactly why. On the stupidly catchy Wish You Would the assured rapper introduces herself with a trademark snarl "throw 'em up muthafucka, it's that bitch Blanco" setting her tone perfectly. If this is the direction she's heading, then Mykki's here to conquer. Now I'm even more stoked to hear a full-length debut



No comments:

Post a Comment